Monday, March 13, 2017

Interview with Poet Lore Pushcart Prize nominee Suzanne O'Connell





MY CAPTIVE

I stalked her petticoats like a caged shrimp,
noticed when she shaved her legs,
when her skirt was an inch shorter,
when she wore two different white socks,
traced the raisin-shaped scar on her knee.

A thread dangled from her hem,
a tease, a mystery that would unlock
the other side of the world.
I imagined what would happen
if I pulled it.

Would she unravel?
Become a cocoon spinning toward me?
Could I use it to tie her to the tetherball pole?
She never noticed me once.
I could wrap that thread around my finger—
a reminder never to forgive her.
















Interview conducted by Ellie Tipton, managing editor of Poet Lore. Follow her @ellietipton & follow the mag @PoetLoreMag 



ET: What prompted you to write this poem?
 
SC: I’m often prompted by a word or an image, something random, and in this case, it was noticing someone wearing a skirt that had a thread dangling from the edge. What would happen if I pulled the thread?

ET: So, the speaker here is obviously obsessed with their object of desire. Did this come from your own personal experience?

SC: This poem is about a childhood obsession with a classmate.  I was the object of some of these obsessions, and I had some major crushes myself.  I remember a fellow once telling me it was unfortunate that I had cut my leg while learning to shave and noticing when I began to wear a bra. Often these obsessions did not end well, thus the resentment at the end of the poem.

ET: Can you talk a little about your poem “Sepia Tones”?

SC: The poem “Sepia Tones” that precedes this one in Poet Lore is about domestic violence, and it features a father-figure and a child.  In a violent household, there are two modes of experience: when the violence is occurring and the waiting.  People often describe the waiting as the more painful of the two modes.  I tried to capture this tension and anxiety: how the child watches the father’s fingers.
 
ET: Did you find an emotional release when writing either of these poems?

SC: I think not of this poem, but of my poem “The Smackdown” (Atlanta Review).  The opening line is: “Maybe I should have saved all the money I spent on therapy and invested it on one big smackdown with my mother.” Even though I am defeated by the end of the poem, I felt something important was released when that poem was finished.

ET: Who are your influences?

Matthew Dickman, Charles Bukowski, Dylan Thomas, Emily Dickenson, Billy Collins, and Ellen Bass.


Purchase the issue where Suzanne’s poems appear here.



Subscribe to Poet Lore here.


No comments: