Monday, July 18, 2016

Meet the Instructor: Bennie Herron



Meet the Instructor offers insight into the teaching styles and personalities of our instructors. This time around,we spoke with Bennie Herron, who will lead Seeing the Blues in Poetry, an all-levels class, over three Saturdays from August 6th through August 20th.

The Writer’s Center: What brought you to The Writer’s Center?

Bennie Herron: I respect the fact that The Writer's Center takes the poetry out of the classroom and into the community. Bringing poetry to the people is very important to me.

TWC: How would you describe your teaching style?

BH: I would describe my teaching style as inclusive. I don't pretend to be an expert but I think it's important to rely on the experience and motives of the individuals in the class or workshop.

TWC: What are you reading right now?

BH: Juice! by Ishmael Reed. It is a creatively woven work about the social and political paradigm that we live in both past and present. Great work!

TWC: What are you writing right now?

BH: I'm currently working on multiple projects. I am working on a play and my next full-length poetry collection titled, Music Made Us Do This.

TWC: What does your writing space look like?

BH: Writing space. Ha ha. I usually grab a cigar and sit at a table in my garage and think far too long about what I want to say then start writing. I daydream a lot. But, my basement and garage could be crowned my writing space.

TWC: What is the best piece of writing advice you’ve ever been given and by whom?

BH: A great poet, activist, and mentor Matthew Shenoda told me to always keep it simple by telling your story. How you see things leads to the most authentic and relatable work.

Bennie Herron earned a B.A. in psychology at San Diego State University and went on to earn a master’s in social work from San Diego State. He has practiced school-based social work for the last eight years. Herron recently received his M.F.A. in creative writing with an emphasis in contemporary poetry from National University.

No comments: